NYC, LES Acupuncture
We provide a safe and relaxing environment to accompany your acupuncture treatment. Most people enjoy the experience and find it calming and relaxing.
How does acupuncture work?
Acupuncture is an ancient healing system originating more than 3000 years ago. This treatment consists of ultra thin needles comparable to two strands of human hair inserted into the skin. Generally the insertion of needles are painless. Once the needles are inserted, the body undergoes its own healing mechanism. The ancient Chinese discovered meridians that circulate Qi (oxygen) and blood in our body. Along these longitudinal lines or meridians are stations of reactive and sensitive sites known as acupuncture points. Each acupuncture point are situated near or on highly reactive nerve bundles. After the needles are inserted into the acupuncture points, it starts a cascade of mechanism in the body by signaling the central nervous system to (brain & spinal cord) release anti-inflammatory agents, hormones, endorphins (body's natural pain killers), boost immunity, and increase blood circulation. Essentially acupuncture and Chinese medicine is a holistic medicine and can treat a wide variety of illness from pain to internal disorders.
Often pain relief is experienced within the first treatment (click here for a list of Pain conditions), and chronic long standing internal conditions may take more than five treatments before seeing results. There are no drugs in the acupuncture needles when providing pain relief. Pain relief is the body's natural healing response due to stimulation of the acupuncture points in the nervous system regulating pain and recovery.
How often should I come back?
- Every person's treatment is different depending on their condition.
- Acute and excruciating pain - recommended to come 3-7 sessions until pain is resolved.
- long standing chronic pain - recommended to come at least 2-3 sessions per week for three weeks. Once improvements are noticed and pain has decreased to a low intensity, 1-2 sessions per week are recommended until symptoms do not reappear or improved to its maximum recovery potential.
- Internal conditions - recommended to come at least two times per week until symptoms are manageable or do not reappear.
- Dosage is the key to obtaining consistent results. Much like taking an Advil or painkiller, the effects of medication will taper off within 4-8 hours, and another dose will be required for relief. Consistent acupuncture treatments will reestablish homeostasis or balance in the individual and promote self healing without the side effects of drugs.
What Does Acupuncture Treat?
Since the 1970's acupuncture has grown and continues to grow in popularity in the West particularly for its effectiveness. To date, acupuncture is incorporated in most hospitals of China. In the West, hospitals are now slowly introducing this effective therapy to patients.
Below is a List of what NIH (National Institute of Health) recognizes.